Saturday, July 16, 2011

Hand it to me! Week 7

1. What was it like using your hand as subject matter for a drawing?
It was a great exercise, I haven't done anything like this in years. My kids also got a kick out of watching dad try and draw his right hand. I was going to compare this with the ones I did back in 93 for NCCC but I must have tossed them away.

2. What media did you select - pencil or charcoal? Why?
I decided to use pencils because that is what I purchased for the value scale project.

3. How did it feel to create a drawing with your non-dominant hand?
I felt like I could have strapped a pencil to my dogs paw and she could have done a better job. I couldn't believe how useless my left hand was until this project. 

4. Compare and contrast your final drawings. Do you think they are successful studies?
I didn't do too bad using my dominant hand, I tried to keep the erasing down to a minimum. The non-dominant one was definitely a chore, even setting up how it was going to fit on the paper was a problem. I ended up starting the drawing with my left hand three different times so that it would fit. 

5. Would you consider using your non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future?
Pretty much the only thing I use that hand for is driving, tying my work boots and for some reason smoking my cigars. Other than those things I don't think I will use it for any other projects in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment