Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Reviewing Classmate Blogs

James Donnelly, Project #1

   I agreed with all of James image assessments. The rug he used to convey color could also have been used for texture, line and pattern. I love the shadow that bisects this photo, it just seems to add some needed contrast. The patio block that he used for pattern could have also been used to convey rhythm, repetition and form. The stones that he used for line could easily have depicted movement. It reminds me of the outside installation that was in our textbook but for some reason I can't seem to find at this moment. Here is a favorite installation of mine: A Clothespin in Belgium I don't think there was any one item that only had a single element and principal associated with it. I think if someone looked hard enough everything has at least two from the list.

James Donnely, Project#2

   I loved  "The voyage of Life" also. Even though I am not overly religious I do enjoy the art and history that follows religion. These painting depicting a hero's journey down the river of life from childhood to youth then manhood and finally old age, would have been one of my picks as well.
   I agree that the "Coffin Bottom" is a very interesting piece. I love Egyptian art and finding out more about the man buried in that coffin interest me also. This piece must have been early just by looking at the way the person was depicted, the legs and head in a profile view but the torso and eye are frontal views.
   I felt a connection with "The First Railroad Train on the Mohawk and Hudson Road". My son loves everything about the railroad. We have taken a few trips on the rails together and love taking rind on a CSX train that a friend Engineers on.

   I didn’t have any of the same images that James had.


   I love reading about his Blogs, its good to see how other people perceive art differently and sometimes similar to what my perceptions are. James and I have similiar interests when it comes to the Egyptian world, the history and their artwork. I could look at Egyptian art all day long and never get bored of it.

Emily Krolewicz Project #1

   I think Emily did a great job on this project, all of her photos were very interesting. The slide that portrayed movement could also have been used for space, color and form. The scratches moving along the slide remind me of children sliding down one after another. The photo that was used for variety could have also depicted, color, repetition and proportion. This had an Andy Warhol feel to it, its nice to see photographs jazzed up with a little creativity. The beautiful ceiling that was taken to represent space could easily have also been used for texture, form, repetition or rhythm. Staring at the ceiling has never been so interesting, there is so much detail that it draws you right up close. Pretty much all of her photos could have had multiple elements and principals associated with them. 

Emily Krolewicz Project #2

   The ceramics piece that Emily picked by John Tracey was truly amazing. I love ceramics too and everything about the water. The coral adds so much depth to the piece that your eye is just drawn down into it and trying to absorb every little detail. I can't even imagine how much work this must have taken to produce something so beautiful. I love how it is one color so as not to detract from the detail presented.
   The "Cavatappi dei Saracino"is one of my favorite pieces that Emily had chosen. I am an Engineering Major and seem to always be drawn to anything that is mechanical. Even though this is a static piece there just seems to be something about it that conveys movement. At first glance it resembles something futuristic that could come alive at any moment. The form, space and great detail is so creative and interesting. I would love to have this piece sitting in my dining room.
 
   Emily and I didn't have any of the same images.

    I really enjoyed reading the Blogs that Emily published. This is a great learning tool in that it gets me thinking about different pieces and gives more examples of what differentiates one piece from another. Reading others Blogs opens me up to interpretation that I may have never realized by myself.

I don't have any comments left on any of my Blogs as of yet but I am anxiously awaiting some creative criticism. Comments are always welcome, it is how we learn.

2 comments: