Saturday, June 25, 2011

Gallery Visit

The first piece that impressed me was a bronze statue named Man Walking (Version 1) created by Alberto Giacometh. There was something about the way he was posed, I almost wondered where he was going and why he was so calm. I could almost feel the texture of the bronze, he looks successful and knowledgeable.

Nomad painted in 1963 by James Ronsenquist, American, born 1933, Oil on canvas, plastic and wood . This painting caught my eye. I love how it resembles a collage, all types of things from the 50s. This just had an advertising feel to it that I enjoyed. 


The Liver is the Cock's Comb 1944 by Arshile Gorky, American, born Armenia 1904-1948, oil on canvas. This painting seemed to grab hold of me. I'm not sure what the artist was trying to convey but I loved the colors and use of space that seemed to balance the piece. 


The Marvelous Sauce by Jehan Georges Vibert French 1840-1902 Oil on wood panel. This painting grabbed me and was the very first painting I took a photo of. I guess I feel a connection because I love to cook and want everyone to try what I am cooking. The colors in this are fantastic and the realism made me think I was looking at a photograph. It looks as though the Cardinal? seems to love the sauce but the chef doesn't think the Cardinal knows what he's talking about. The depth of the painting pulls you into the whole schene. 


 Neglected Lands  ca. 1900 by Francis J. Murphy, American, 1853-1921, oil on canvas. This piece almost looks like the cabin we use to own. It was run down but it was ours and that's all that mattered. The stream balances nicely with the trees. 



Hotel Lobby 1950 by Max Beckmann, German 1884-1950, Oil on canvas. Something drew me to this painting, I'm not sure if it was the darkness or maybe the fact that the man in the center seems so tall (I'm 6'8"). He looks alone and overwhelmed as though no one will help him. 



I love this next painting, Indefinite Divisibility 1942 by Yves Tanguy, American born france 1900-1955, Oil on canvas. When I first noticed it I thought immediately that it was a Dali. I would like to view other works by this artist. I love how imaginative it is and how there are no limits.The shadow of the two pieces draws your eyes to the background. Just a very cool piece. 



The Wolves 1913 by Frank Marc  German 1880-1916, Oil on canvas. I loved the sharp lines and angles of this work. The three wolves look like they are taking charge of some situation. Other than a sense of dominance I don't know what more there is to this painting. This piece just feels very strong, are the three leaders or vanquishers?



Tow-Path at Argenteuil ca.1875 by Claude Monet, French, 1840-1926, oil on canvas. This is a great piece, its a Monet and I just love his work. The two on the tow path looks as though they could have been strolling the Erie Canal right near my house in Lockport. I wonder if these were random people or maybe friends of his family. 


I really enjoyed my visit to the gallery. I decided to take my wife and daughter with me (7 yr old get bored easily). I haven't been to the gallery in about 3 years and I was a little disappointed. It seemed as though half of the museum was closed for construction but in all fairness they did give us free passes for a return trip some other time. I had a great time and viewing art with my family.





2 comments:

  1. I like the pieces you chose to write about, and I shared the same one as you, The Marvelous Sauce. I love that painting, I always study it every time I go to the Knox. I agree with you though that it's kind of disappointing that a section of it is always closed for some reason. I went to go upstairs and it was completely blocked off! Good description on the pieces. Do you think you'll be visiting the gallery again soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the pieces you chose they were completely different than the ones I chose. I remember looking at all the ones you picked and I couldnt really connect with any or want to know more about them, but I enjoyed reading your thoughts and connections to get a different perspective on them. We did have one of the same paintings -Indefinite Divisibility 1942 by Yves Tanguy, I too wanted to know more about it, I felt I was missing something the artist was trying to say (which is why art is supposed to be the viewers interpretation), but it drew my attention, and have yet to figure out why!

    ReplyDelete